Sunday, February 3, 2013

What A Year Can Do!

It amazes me to think that just a year ago I did not know what I was putting into my body and I did not care.  I was 207 lbs, exhausted, and extremely discouraged by my lack of results while trying to follow a certain weight loss program.  One day, while trying to find a satisfying, low point snack, I wrote on Facebook, "A Tbsp of peanut butter really shouldn't be 3 points....  It makes me sad and mad at the same time."  I received a lot of comments with similar feelings to mine, but one was very different.  It was from my friend and former co-worker Stacy (of PaleoParents.com).  She shared her story and challenged me to try to eat a different way for 30 days.  She suggested I focus on going low carb, low sugar, and to remove overly processed oils from my diet.  I had already seen the amazing transformation she had made in her life and decided that I would take her up on her challenge.  I asked my friend Melanie for some advice on what I should eat and avoid.  I trusted Melanie's advice as she had been attending Tai Sophia to study Nutrition and improved her health through real food.  She directed me to a few articles on the Weston A. Price Foundation's website.  I researched the site and read a ton of posts on PaleoParent's blog.  I felt ready to take on the challege!

 Here are some before pictures:

Taken 4/9/11.  Approximately 212 lbs.
Taken 12/24/11.
Taken 12/26/11.  208.4 lbs
 On January 30, 2012, I gave up sugar and processed foods and have been going strong ever since!  As I started my journey, I read "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig (which soon because my nutrition bible!) and "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes.  By February I was roasting chicken and making bone broth!  I started attending events with the Northern Virginia Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Group.  I began buying pastured chickens and grass fed beef from Whiffletree Farm (now one of my very favorite places to buy meat!).  I officially cancelled my membership with that "certain weight loss program" on February 16th.  I was feeling great!  I had already lost weight (I was down to 198.4 lbs)!  I was shocked by how much progress I had seen. In March, my husband Chris and I signed up for a CSA through Great Country Farms.  For some reason, I decided to have some non-traditionally prepared grains one weekend and my body could definitely feel it!  I was bloated and sluggish.


By June I was making traditional fermented ketchup (with this recipe from Nourished Kitchen).  The ketchup was so awesome that I signed up for Nourished Kitchen's meal plans!  I started brewing kombucha with a SCOBY given to me by Melanie.  I started making LARD!

Here are some "during" pictures:
Taken 7/7/12.  179.0 lbs.
Taken 5/24/12.  181.8 lbs.








Taken 11/29/12.  173.8 lbs.


Taken 12/20/12.  172 lbs.

Today, a year after being challenged to change my diet, I am 35 lbs lighter, I have less aches and pains, my hair is shinier and less frizzy, and my poop has improved tremendously (sorry if that's TMI for a first post)!

I want to share the highlights of my journey and help people discover real, whole, unprocessed foods.  I hope you'll join me on my journey!

2 comments:

  1. I am seriously so thrilled about your journey Kari, I love that someone so engrained in the SAD dogma was able to make that leap of faith and gain such wonderful health and wellness as a result! Also, your blog name is AWESOME! I just realized you had one when we put in the short bio on your first (fantastic) review post and the name made me swoon <3

    ReplyDelete