Monday, February 11, 2013

Kari's Kitchen - What's Cooking!

This weekend I was not as ambitious as last weekend!  Friday evening we went to our community meeting/gathering.  We have no HOA in our community so the gatherings are more for neighbors to get together and chat while enjoying some snacks and drinks.  For a snack, I made some cream cheese and peperoncini stuffed salami wedges.  They are quick and easy and people seem to love them!

Rallo staring out the window.
Saturday I slept in!  It rarely happens anymore because of our 1 year old beagle puppy, Rallo.  He loves to wake up and then chew on anything he can find - lip balm, socks, hair ties, hats, shoes, etcI slept in so late that I didn't even make breakfast.  Never a good thing!

As soon as I was fully awake, I made "The Original Hamburger Helper" from  Healthy Living How To.  For once, I followed the recipe!  The dish looked exactly like the picture on the blog (sorry, I forgot to take a picture!) and it was super tasty!  My husband happily ate it and wanted more!  Later that evening we had leftovers.

Stir-Fried Green Beans

Sunday morning I made scrambled eggs and bacon.  We still had some bacon left over from the last time I went to The Organic Butcher.  For lunch, we snacked on some leftovers.  For dinner, I made Stir-Fried Green Beans with Shrimp and Garlic from Food & Wine's site.  Of course, I changed a few things in the recipe.  Instead of vegetable oil, I used lard.  I added some black pepper and red pepper flakes while the shrimp and green beans were sizzling.  Also, I steamed the green beans a little before adding them to the skillet.  A very tasty, quick dish!  I think from start to finish it took about 16 minutes!



Last night I ordered some meat from U.S. Wellness Meats, an online store specializing in grass-fed meats.  I've heard wonderful things about their meats and I love their mission:

"Do what's good for our animals, good for our planet and good for you."

I can't wait for my products to arrive and will definitely provide a review!  I especially cannot wait to try their beef Pemmican sticks.  I had never heard of these before but they seem like something I'd enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment