Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Easy Weeknight Dinners

I am always searching for easy, nutritious weeknight dinners.  We've found a set of two back-to-back dinners that we love - Blackened Chicken with Avocado Cream and Ginger Lime Chicken Bites both served with riced cauliflower.

I will buy 4 chicken breasts from The Organic Butcher and use two for each meal.  On the first night, I will prepare the riced cauliflower (recipe below).  Both the blackened chicken and ginger lime chicken bites are quick and easy so it's a toss up of which to prepare the first night.

Riced Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower
2 Tbsp coconut oil
S&P to taste
Dash garlic (fresh chopped, garlic powder, or garlic salt)
1 Tbsp chopped cilantro

- Chop the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until the pieces are the size of couscous to rice
- Place the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat
- Add all remaining ingredients to the hot skillet and cook for about 4 minutes 

Blackened Chicken

I was inspired by the Blackened Chicken recipe from Sarcastic Cooking.  It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.  I have changed up a few things.  Here's how I make it:

2 chicken breasts
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp of oil to fry (coconut oil, butter, or lard)

- Mix all seasonings and rub onto chicken
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Add chicken breasts and cook approximately 5 minutes on each side covered

For the Avocado Cream, mix 1/2 an avocado with 1 tbsp of full fat plain yogurt.

I like to serve slices of chicken on top of the riced cauliflower topped with the avocado cream.  Delish!


 

 

 

 

 Ginger Lime Chicken Bites

I found this recipe through Pinterest from The Healthy Gluten Free Life.  I actually make this recipe exactly as written except I only use 2 chicken breasts instead of 3.  I like it a little more saucy so that the riced cauliflower has a chance to soak up some of the sauce.  I love adding a few more green onions and sesame seeds on top.  This recipe also takes about 15 minutes start to finish.

What are some of your favorite, fast, nutritious weeknight dinners?


No comments:

Post a Comment