Saturday, August 24, 2013

CSA - Week 2

Our CSA basket for week 2 was delivered on June 12th.  As you can see, I have a lot of catching up to do!

This week we received:

Sweet Cherries (1/2 pint) - $3.50
Asparagus - $3.99
Kale - $3.29
Spring Onions - $1.49

Total value for this week: $12.27
Total running CSA value: $34.92

I ate all the sweet cherries in one sitting!  I had forgotten to throw away my pits and stems when I was done and our pup, Rallo, decided to eat most of the pits.  I immediately called the vet to see if cherry pits were bad for dogs and, of course, they are!  The vet suggested watching him to see if he vomits or becomes lethargic before freaking out (too late!).  Luckily, he was perfectly fine!

We grilled the asparagus and used the spring onions in various dishes throughout the week.  I originally wanted to saute the kale but I decided to try out making some kale chips!  I used the Kale Chips recipe from Nom Nom Paleo (a blog that I love!).  I had to run to Whole Foods and purchase some avocado oil (which also makes a delicious mayo!).  Below, you'll see a picture of the kale chips ready to go into the oven.  Sadly, I didn't get an after picture!  Each batch baked for approximately 12 minutes and each batch was gone by the time the next batch was ready!  I did save enough to give a small bagful to my neighbor.  Rallo loved them too!  Too bad Chris didn't get a chance to try them.  :-)

Kale Chips - Pre-Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment